Saturday, November 14, 2009

Busiest. Night. Ever.

Never have I seen such a busy Saturday night at the library. We've had more patrons during any given half-hour block than we normally have during a four hour block of time on Saturdays. Geeze.

Our last post was on Halloween and tonight the Christmas trees are up. And I learned that some random drawing we found in a BP book is of Larry the Cucumber in a space costume. That was some beneficial knowledge :)

This post is going to be really choppy because I will barely be able to finish a sentence before we get another patron.

Top asked question of the night: What does this thing do? (referring to the desensitizer)

Cami is writing a research paper on William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. She's smart.

I've been working since 1:30. I'll be here till 11:00. I'm pretty sure that's a long shift. I'm not the biggest fan of it being this busy when I'm here for this long.

Tonight, one patron came up to the desk when Chris was working and asked for a reserve book without the call number. He proceeded to ask her to look up the call number because there was a line and she got mad saying that her professor said she just needed to come up to the desk and ask for it and we could look up the call number and get it for her. Chris held his ground and had her look up the call numbers and she left the desk rolling her eyes. She later came up to the desk with the call numbers and I was the one helping her. I had no idea this was the same person Chris had complained to me about but I didn't like her attitude. She asked me if she could just keep it for longer than the two hours if nobody else wanted it and I proceeded to tell her that since we only had one copy of the books she wanted she would have to wait half an hour before she could check it out to her again. She again rolled her eyes. I went back to the shelves to find the books for her and it was the first time I had ever hoped that they were not available. They weren't on the shelves, but they were on the cart waiting to be re-shelved so she got them. Darn it. Later that night she came up to Cami's desk. Cami had no idea that this was the patron that had annoyed both Chris and I earlier in the evening. She guessed that this was the same patron I had talked about without even asking. The books were late so she returned them and then had her friend check the books out without paying the fine. Needless to say we will not be waving her fines.

It snowed today. My informal poll has told me that most people are not happy about this. But then people like my friend Sarah come up to the desk beaming at the news. I think I'm with the people who want the snow to hold off for a little while longer. It's been such a beautiful fall this year! Not that I don't like snow--but the past two winters have been just a little too severe for my taste.

Favorite patron research topic of the night: Disney princess deconstruction. I will be editing their paper for them even though I have no idea who they are. They now have my email address.

24 hour holds have been ever-so-popular tonight. So many books coming and going off that shelf it's amazing!

Last week we made the Disney awards--hence the reason for not having a post on here. I cannot vouch for the reason why we haven't had one other weeks. My only excuse is laziness.

I made copies of the call number locations papers. Sometimes the copier hates me. It printed 50 pages of them the wrong direction so instead of having 150 individual sheets made, we only get 100. Plus they were harder to cut out. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It's been a pretty amazing night as far as info-commons goes. Every time I had to send someone over to their desk there's been someone there!!

This is the most amazing post ever! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment